Our generation is facing a huge obstacle when it comes to technology and it is destroying our children. This obstacle is keeping our children safe from the dangers of pornography and it is everywhere. Its on the television, in magazines, and on the internet.
Most parents set no parameters when it comes to the television, or internet. Most children have televisions in their rooms with cable access and computers in their rooms with internet. The world is so sex crazed that it no longer is a question of if our children will be exposed to pornography but when.
If you don’t believe me take a look at these statistics I recently found online:
- 74% of children have access to the Internet at home with no filters.
- 98% of children have access to the Internet outside the home.
- 50% of 4-5 year olds know how to access the internet through tablets.
- 80% of children age 8 and up have access to the internet on their cellphones.
- Sex and sexual content is available on tv 24 hrs a day
- Everytime you get on the internet you are five clicks away from seeing something sexual.
- Fashion has become “sexy” pushing the limits to what’s acceptable to wear. We act like we have to wear what the fashion world tells us. This is trickling down to our children.
I shouldn’t have to explain to you the dangers of your child being exposed to pornography. These dangers will last a lifetime affecting their self esteem, marriage, and views of what normal sex should be.
What Can We Do As Parents?
- Don’t allow internet in your home without a filter. My family uses AFO and we love it. Do your research and find the filter that is the right fit for you.
- You may need to rethink cable tv. Is it worth it? There are other alternatives to entertainment like renting dvds from the library so that you have more control over what they are watching.
- Disable the internet from their phones. Our children don’t need 24 hour access to the internet.
- Do not allow your children to operate any online media, including NetFlix.
- Do not allow your child to go over to other peoples houses that do not maintain the same tv and internet safeguards.
- Explain to them the danger of pornography.
Scriptures to meditate on:
2 Peter 2:14 Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children:
1 John 2:16-17 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.
Psalm 66:11 Thou broughtest us into the net; thou laidst affliction upon our loins. (Think internet.)
2 Timothy 3:1-5 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, 4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; 5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.